Friday, November 23, 2012

Turkey sweet potato oatmeal cranberry dog treat recipe


I made my dogs turkey sweet potato oatmeal and cranberry biscuits and  dehyrated sweet potato treats

Everyone at my house only eat turkey breast, so the dogs always get the dark meat of the turkey. They had some turkey with gravy and still had plenty of leftover turkey so I decided to find a recipe. I ran across a recipe for Turkey Tasties but I only had white all purpose flour and dint know how it would work so I put some oatmeal in my food proccesor and turned it into flour and created my own recipe based off of the Turkey Tasties recipe.


Turkey, sweet potato, oatmeal and cranberry biscuits recipe
I used turkey, pumpkin, leaves and bone cookie cutters

Ingredients
2 cups of cooked turkey
1/2-1 cup chicken broth
1-2 sweet potatoes(mashed sweet potatoes would work too as long as they don't have brown sugar)
3 cups of oatmeal
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 tsp garlic powder(optional)
1/4 stick of margarine(optional)
1 tsp parsley flakes(optional) I didn't think of the parsley until after I made them but parsley would be a nice addition if I make them again I will add parsley
flour for rolling the dough out I used all purpose but you can use whatever kind you have on hand as long as your pups aren't allergic
the biscuits before going in the oven

directions
Put turkey and chicken broth in blender or food proccesor and puree,microwave sweet potatoes and removed the skin and mash. Add mashed sweet potatoes to blender and puree.add melted butter if needed. add garlic salt and parsley if desired. pour mixture into bowl and wash your blender a cup at a time put the oatmeal in your blender and mix the oatmeal flour into the turkey sweet potato mixture until you gets a desired texture(these are treats you roll out and use cookie cutters) stir in dried cranberries. Roll out dough and cut with desired cookie cutters bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown, time varies if thinner dough and smaller shapes check on them often.


The biscuits are done and cooling on wax paper




Lets see what the Taste Tester think
Molly just waking up from a nap  smells yummy homemade treats                                                                 

what 1 do I want? I want all of them, please, oh pretty please! 

Roxy with a leaf in her mouth


This is so delicious mommy! more please!






3 comments:

the teacher's pets said...

Mmmmm! Those treats look so good and oh so easy to make! I've got to copy this down and start cooking as soon as pawsible! Thanks for sharing!

the teacher's pets said...

Loved reading this again! If only I were as dedicated! My pets would love to move in with you so you could spoil 'em with these treats!

joyh82 said...

I was just told by my vet that our pup is getting too heavy so I need to make her some homemade treats or buy her some. Your dog is a cutie. We have a beagle too.